The recent scope of work involved sample recovery using vibrocoring and cone penetration testing (CPT) along and around cable routes and structures of the development.
Geotechnical site investigations are normally carried out onboard dedicated vessels where there is an abundance of deck space for operations including lifts, deployments, recoveries and sample processing and testing.
However, for this project the work needed to be carried out onboard a client supplied vessel which was not configured for geotechnical operations, and presented a challenge due to limited deck space, because of the vessel’s configuration for its normal operations.
UTEC’s knowledge and experience was required to integrate the geotechnical spread with the vessel.
The customer needed to be prepared for mobilisation within a dynamic window based on the vessel’s operational schedule. They also required expedited analysis of the collected geotechnical data with results made available as soon as possible to allow them to understand their design and construction tolerances.
OUR SOLUTION AND ITS COMMERCIAL BENEFITS TO THE PROJECT
Develop market leading services and integrated solutions
- Seamlessly sourced a geotechnical spread including a 3m-9m vibrocoring system, Neptune CPT system and over boarding chute.
- Mobilised a small geotechnical spread to suit the customer-sourced vessel.
- UTEC leveraged the expertise of Acteon companies MENCK and Aquatic to provide specialised equipment for the undertaking of this scope of work, and logistical expertise to ensure the timely transfer of samples to onshore laboratories for testing.
- UTEC is realising an increase in this sort of geotechnical survey application to maximise the utilisation of customer owned vessels and the integration with incumbent survey providers on more complex projects.
Operational bases across the world
- Multi-skilled personnel from across the Acteon Geo-services segment were utilised to provide around-the-clock support.
Work at scale with a proven track record for delivery
- The UTEC geotechnical team have an extensive track record of supporting customers on similar scopes of work, some with short notice mobilisation periods.
Optimise the project to increase commercial value
- The congested back deck was extensively modified in collaboration with the customer to enable the performance of geotechnical investigations. Packers were installed to level the deck and allow for a flat surface to land various equipment, enabling personnel to operate without encountering trip hazards.
- Neptune 5000 CPT System
- GMSS Geo-Vibro Corer
“This geotechnical project was a success, and illustrated the collaborative approach taken to address the challenges of performing these non-configured operations onboard a vessel. Through this approach, we believe this will enable our customers to maximise their vessel schedules going forward, and lead to further opportunities for Acteon Geo-services, including utilising our proprietary Portable Remotely Operated Drill (PROD) system where deeper samples are required,” said Ross Leitch, UTEC General Manager – Europe & Africa